This is an application for farm workers and laborers for a farm that grows tomatoes, sweet corn, berries, pumpkins, and garden vegetables along with other row and field crops, like triticale. All other duties assigned under this order will be those duties of Farm Worker and Laborer Crop, Nursery and Greenhouse, under the Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Employment Statistics Standard Occupational Classification Code 45-2092.
The lifting requirement for this position is 60 pounds.
Irrigation Job Duties:
1. Connect pipes
2. Check the alignment of pipe and adjust for proper water distribution
3. Attach lines to water supply
4. Turn on pump
5. Turn valves to start flow of water
6. Disassemble lines and carry pipes across fields at specified intervals
7. Move pipes through freshly irrigated crop and/or plowed fields where mud may be deep at times
8. Lift and carry pipe sections weighing approximately 60 pounds on a sustained basis
1. Lift gate inside of flooded irrigation ditch/pipe permitting water to flow into bordered section of field
2. Shovel and pack dirt in low spots of embankment of cut trenches in high areas to direct waterflow
3. Close gates in ditch/pipe when bordered section is flooded
4. Open gate or connect pipe to underground pipe system that releases water flow into reservoir or ditch
5. Siphon water from flooded reservoir or ditch to channel water into designated areas
6. Shovel or hoe soil to clear ditches/furrows and build embankments to appropriately channel water
7. Mix and apply proper solutions to fill holes/cracks in pipes, ditches, and spillways, and make minor repairs to metal, concrete, and wooden frameworks in pipe and ditch valves and gates.
Workers will lay drip tape and remove drip tape in fields during the growing season. They will inspect, monitor, and repair drip system daily.
Other Irrigation Duties:
1. Remove pipes/wheel lines from storage and lay out/place in predetermined patterns in fields
2. Lubricate, adjust, repair and replace parts such as sprinkler heads and drive chains using hand tools
3. Observe Revolving sprinklers and adjust to ensure proper operation and uniform distribution of water
4. Disassemble, service, and store pipe/mainlines/wheel lines after irrigation season.